Sunday, May 15, 2011

Too Faced Glitter Glue Review + Glitter Eye

In Sephora the other day, "Glitter Glue" by Too Faced caught my eye. It's an eyeshadow primer specifically formulated to lock down loose pigments, shimmers and glitters. You can use Glitter Glue under or over eyeshadow. I really don't wear glitter often, but I love shimmery shadows and have a lot of loose eyeshadows. I already own Shadow Insurance by Too Faced (I own Urban Decay's Primer Potion as well, and alternate between them), but my curiosity got to me and I wanted to know if this lived up to it's claims.

It's exactly the same size as Shadow Insurance, and both are in slim squeeze tubes. So what's the difference? Shadow Insurance is slightly colored, darker in color, with a creamier and thinner consistency. Glitter Glue looks whitish but once blended is clear (truly clear), and is actually somewhat...like glue! It's a little hard to squeeze out of the tube, and it's thicker and tackier than Shadow Insurance.

Shadow Insurance on the left and Glitter Glue on the right in all photos:


I figured that since this is Glitter Glue, why not go all out and do a crazy glitter eye to really put it to the test? I saw the Spring 2011 Louis Vuitton campaign in the new In Style, and the models are rocking a total glitter eye, albeit a chic fashion version. There's gold on the lid; a plummy pink up to the brow (on Raquel Zimmerman), on the lower lashline and extending outwards, and black liner on the waterline. Brows are bleached and penciled in with a very thin line, only along the top. I don't own too many glitters, apart from a couple by MAC and a few from Zink Color (not affiliated with them in any way- just putting it out there. The Silver 3D is awesome- it's holographic). I'm using Zink's here, and they're quite nice. Inexpensive, cosmetic grade glitter in a variety of colors. Light Gold and Rosette:



Rosette is really bright, but it'll have to do. I wanted to test out Glitter Glue's claim that you can apply it over eyeshadow, so I laid down a very light wash of Bobbi Brown's Copper Sand eyeshadow over completely bare lids (I have no idea why my brows photographed as nonexistent in these photos):


I applied the Glitter Glue (two very small dots) all over my lid, up to my brow and even under my lashline, since I was going to pack glitter on everywhere. Ladies (and gents)....Glitter Glue is awesome. The glitter adhered beautifully and it did not fall off! The only "fall out" was the occasional excess from my MAC 239 brush. 

Rosette went over my crease, up towards my brow bone, under the lashline, and I extended it towards my temple. Light Gold went all on my lid, MAC Feline Kohl Power pencil went along my waterline and top lashline, I curled my lashes and applied two coats of Rimmel The Max Volume Flash mascara. I really should have used some falsies for this, but in all honesty it was a last minute sort of thing on my part, so that's why I didn't bother. An interesting side note about the effectiveness of Glitter Glue: you'll notice there is a sort of bald spot near the inner corner of my eye. I purposely didn't apply the Glitter Glue there, and sure enough, the glitter didn't really stick!




I feel like Lady Gaga....I just need an egg. A friend's brother saw this and asked, "Are you going to Rio for Carnival?" Haha. Guys... ;)

This entire look stayed and removed easily with my usual eye makeup remover (I use the Neutrogena oil-free one).

No comments:

Post a Comment