Saturday, March 3, 2012

Revlon ColorBurst Lipgloss Swatches, Part 1

When I heard Revlon came out with lipglosses for their "ColorBurst" line, I couldn't wait to try them out. Would they be pigmented, like MAC Lipglass? Fruity, barely there color like Lancรดme Juicy Tubes? Smooth? Sticky? I am a lipgloss girl, but only under certain conditions: I look for pigment, smoothness (although I almost always sacrifice this for pigment), and little to no flavor or scent. ColorBurst Lipglosses are promoted as having a "micro-crystal formula for 5x the shine of patent leather", a "plush applicator shaped to curves of your lips for smooth, even application of color", "ColorBurst's Elasticolor technology for rich color with a weightless feel", and moisturizers and anti-oxidants such as sweet almond oil and vitamin E to condition and improve lip texture.

I bought (L-R, in various lighting) Rose Pearl, Peony, Sunset Peach, Papaya, Fire, Bordeaux, and Sienna Sparkle (and after trying them out I decided to order a few more online, since they were sold out at stores near me. Unfortunately, Pink Ice, Hot Pink, Orchid, and Strawberry can't make an appearance today because of the recent winter weather. Their shipment has been delayed for days now).





Rose Pearl is a pigmented, very shimmery mauvey rose that reminded me a lot of Chanel's Blizzard glossimer, but it turns out it's actually a lot warmer (it's still not a warm color, however) than Blizzard. It seems to be a similar relative of Clinique's Bamboo Pink lipstick, but I can't be sure how much so until I do a side-by-side comparison.
Rosegold is a beautiful warm rosy pink with small golden pearl and a good amount of pigment for such a soft color.
Peony is a petal pink with small gold glitter. This one has less pigment- it's sheerer and is more of a typical gloss. It's an unspectacular color, however pretty, and is very similar to MAC Lustreglass in Pinkarat.
Sunset Peach is the same as Peony in texture and pigment (seriously...Revlon forgot to burst these two with color), only it's a coral-peach with golden shimmer and glitter. This one reminds me a lot of Chanel's Coral Reef Glossimer - I'm almost positive it's a perfect dupe. Although I don't have a tube lying around to make a comparison, I've gone through enough tubes of Coral Reef to know what looks like it ;) 
Papaya is a pigmented, vivid orange coral with coral microshimmer that looks almost neon in the tube (it reminds me of another Glossimer, Sirop. But Papaya is warmer).
Fire is a bright candy red cream that's cool-toned and definately not for the faint of heart. NARS Bloodwork lipgloss fans will adore this one.
Bordeaux is a pigmented, cool purplish berry with gold shimmer.
Sienna Sparkle is a pigmented deep warm brown with gold shimmer and small golden glitter- I can see this looking just gorgeous on dark skintones. Onto the swatches!

             L-R, Rose Pearl, Rosegold, Peony, Sunset Peach:
  
L-R: Papaya, Fire, Bordeaux, Sienna Sparkle:



The applicator for ColorBurst lipglosses is a twist on the doe foot. It's a sponge applicator, albeit a flat, double-sided, soft and extremely flexible one with a round tip- just as Revlon stated. I like it, but I wasn't ever a person who disliked doe foot applicators to being with. The formula is great- smooth (only Sunset Peach and Peony gave me a bit of a gritty feel), with the silkier feel you would expect from a liquid lipstick, and a bit of the cushiony texture and feel of Chanel's Glossimer formula. No tacky feel or heaviness here (again, as promised). 

So, how to they compare to the famous Super Lustrous glosses? When compared to my Super Lustrous glosses in Nude Lustre and Pearl Plum, all of the ColorBursts feel far less "lipglossy" (SLs have more of a gooey feel) because of their smoothness, but they also give lips less of a shine. I honestly don't know what Revlon was thinking when they decided to advertise "5x the shine of patent leather" on these- they're not even as shiny as patent leather, at least on my lips. Fans of the super wet/ vinyl look when it comes to gloss will be disappointed. ColorBursts also have a slight sweet fragrance that I just can't put my finger on...it's almost like icing at times, contrary to Super Lustrous glosses' much more chemical scent. The ColorBurst tubes are rectangular and sleek; strikingly similar to Chanel Glossimers. When compared side-by-side to a Glossimer (Rose Pearl vs. Blizzard), Revlon actually gives you more gloss than Chanel does, and at a fraction of the price:


What else is there to say? These are a steal for around $8.00 a tube and an excellent drugstore find (even if they are only "just about the shine of patent leather" ;). My personal fave right now is Bordeaux, but Rose Pearl and Rosegold are definately going to be taking me into spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment