Saturday, May 19, 2012

Yves Saint Laurent Long Wear Cream Eyeliner Review - Black Cherry

Yves Saint Laurent is seriously late to the gel/ cream eyeliner party! Stila smudge Pots, Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner, and MAC fluidlines all came out years ago. And here we are at the end of 2011, and YSL has released a cream eyeliner (the fancy, full name? "Eyeliner Effect Faux Cils Long Wear Cream Eyeliner" ;) in four basic shades: black Bronze (actually quite olive in person), Sea Black (navy), Black Cherry (purple) and Deep Black (basic black). I purchased Black Cherry, pretty much drooling at the idea of a true black cherry liner finally being in my possession. And... well... it's... not anything like a cherry...

It's PURPLE. Nothing black, or cherry, or any combination of black and cherry. Who named this shade?! 

 
I was so, so jazzed for an eyeliner with the name "Black Cherry"! I imagined a vampy, blackened burgundy. In the pot, Black Cherry resembles MAC Fluidline in Macroviolet (purple with red pearl). But when swatched or applied, it's much bluer, much more violet. It's a very beautiful purple, but it looks almost exactly like my Bobbi Brown Violet Ink eyeliner. And Violet Ink costs less. True to its name, the formula is extremely creamy and long wearing;however I simply can't justify the price of $25 for a tiny pot. There really wasn't anything outstanding about the formula (*coughcough* or the color), so I feel like I'm paying the extra money only for a gold cap on the pot emblazoned with Yves Saint Laurent's initials.

Meanwhile, my search for a blackened burgundy eyeliner continues... feel free to drop me an email with any shade suggestions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment